Tax Preparation

Why We HelP

United Way is a nonprofit organization that supports community services such as food banks and emergency shelters. We are dedicated to helping people avoid homelessness, maintain financial stability and strengthen their ability to sustain themselves. Free Tax Preparation is a tool to help people keep more of the money they earn and help them take care of their families—and even save for the future.

We can’t think of a better reason to offer this free service.

You can also file online at – free for anyone making less than $64,000.


United Way is an equal opportunity provider and anyone who earned less than $64,000 in 2017 can use United Way’s Free Tax Preparation services. However, some returns are too complex for our volunteers. For example, we cannot prepare Schedule C returns with a loss or with Business use of home or returns with a complex Schedule D (capital gains and losses).  If you feel you have a return that may be complex, please mention it while scheduling your appointment so we can determine how best we can help you.

Make an appointment

Please call 757-244-6100 to make an appointment.  

All appointments will be seen at:
Six House
2003 Kecoughtan Road
Hampton, VA 23661

What to Bring

  • Social Security cards/individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) and birthdates for everyone to be listed on the return
  • Photo ID
  • All tax statements, such as W-2 forms (from all your employers), 1099 forms (interest, dividends, unemployment), SSA-1099 forms Social Security and/or 1099-R retirement income, etc. For a list of common tax forms, visit our FAQ section below.
  • Health Insurance Forms 1095-A (required), 1095-B (required if available), or 1095-C (required if available).
  • If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.
  • Education expenses, such as tuition on the 1098-T form.
  • If you itemize deductions, please bring your personal property tax and any other itemized deductions.
  • Bank account number and routing number for direct deposit of funds to your account.
  • A copy of last year’s tax return