FREE VIRTUAL APPRECIATION PROJECTS FOR KIDS
To promote kindness throughout our community during this time, United Way has established some in-home activities for children and families to enjoy while social distancing at home. To learn more about what UWVP is doing to address COVID-19, visit: https://www.uwvp.org/united-way-emergency-fund.
APPRECIATION ACTIVITIES (CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW FOR EASY DOWNLOAD)
FOR HOME-BOUND SENIORS:
Color as many pages as you wish and send directly to one of the below non-profit agencies. Agenices will distribute colored pages to local home-bound seniors most isolated during this time.
Peninsula Agency on Aging (739 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1006 | Newport News, VA 23606-3585)
Williamsburg Faith In Action (354 McLaws Circle, Suite 2 | Williamsburg, VA 23185)
LINK of Hampton Roads (10413 Warwick Boulevard | Newport News, VA 23601)
FOR FIRST RESPONDERS:
Color as many pages as you wish and/or use the letter template to write a note and email to email@example.com. These pages will be distributed to Police and Fire Departments in our community that are on the frontlines and risking their own health to keep us safe.
FOR HOSPITAL STAFF:
1) Color as many pages as you wish and/or use the letter template to write a note and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These pages will be distributed to all local hospitals on the peninsula to thank their staff on the frontline and risking their own health to keep us safe.
2) Take a quick Thank You video with your phone or computer and send it to email@example.com. All videos will be sent to local hospitals and shared with their staff on media screens and shared on United Way's social media pages. Our local doctors, nurses, and hospital staff are working hard to keep our families, friends, and community safe. Help us share our appreciation during this time of staying home and social distancing.
DAY OF CARING T-SHIRT CONTEST
Enter United Way's Day of Caring Drawing Contest. The winning artwork will be on this year's event t-shirt.
United Way's Day of Caring is our largest volunteer event of the year. This year, it will be held on Friday, September 18th, 2020. Last year, we had over 1,700 volunteers participate in over 70 projects. Projects range from panting flowers for senior citizens, painting offices for nonprofits, sanitizing equipment and toys for a children's center, cleaning trails at local parks, and building benches for outside classrooms, just to name a few. We want you to submit a drawing of what Day of Caring means to you or being kind to our community and neighbors. Check out last years pictures and video links below and previous years shirt designs for inspiration.
CLICK HERE to view Day of Caring 2019 photos
CLICK HERE to view Day of Caring 2019 video (Thank you Keith Reagan Film and Video for this video)
2019 Day of Caring shirt 2018 Day of Caring shirt
How to Participate:
- Draw what Day of Caring means to you or being kind in our community and neighbors
- All Ages are invited to participate
- Scan or take a picture of your artwork and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Day of Caring Drawing Contest
- Be sure to keep your artwork safe, if you are the winner, we will need the original artwork (temporarily).
- DEADLINE: Please submit artwork by June 12, 2020 along with your name, phone number, email, grade and school (if applicable)
- Submitted artwork must be original ideas and drawings
- Artwork must be related to the topic
- No violent and innappropriate images with be considered
- Artwork must be submitted by June 12, 2020
Learn more about how United Way is responding to COVID-19 HERE.